We will be using WD8RZQ repeater 442.350 pl 131.8.
A committee was formed to select the replacement repeater, as well as all necessary components that should be part of the purchase. Committee members are Jimmy, Charlie, Darrel, Dave, with Wayne to act as a technical consultant. Nomination and motion passed to form this committee.
- Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM
- The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
- The BOD minutes were read. Tommy moved to approve and Darrel seconded. BOD minutes were approved.
- New member (Alan Macintyre) application approved.
- Net Control Operators assignments from April 11 through May 16:
|4/11 – Mike Brannan
||5/2 – Carlisle Rodriguez
|4/18 – Cash Jacobson
||5/9 – Mark Bing
|4/25 – George Graves
||5/16 – Ron Horton
- There were 33 members and 2 visitors in attendance.
- Meeting ended at app. 8:45 PM
Treasurer’s Report – Raul Ramos
- Raul reported that the club’s bank account has a balance of $4776.24
- Requested that all remaining dues are paid.
KARS Repeater Update – Charlie Lancaster
- Although multiple repair efforts have been made on our existing KARS 2M repeater it has been determined that a replacement repeater should be purchased. Dan authorized a payment of $2K to purchase a new repeater, Mark moved to approve and John seconded. Motion was passed by the clubs’ members.
- A committee was formed to select the replacement repeater, as well as all necessary components that should be part of the purchase. Committee members are Jimmy, Charlie, Darrel, Dave, with Wayne to act as a technical consultant. Nomination and motion passed to form this committee.
Weekly KARS Net
- Until the KARS 2M repeater is back online, our UHF repeater will be used for our weekly nets.
- Receive Freq – 442.350
- Transmit Freq – 447.350
- Offset = 5MHz
- Tone = + 131.8 Hz
- Skype presentation by Dr. Ed Fong: A Tri-Band Antenna without Radial for 2 Meters, 1.25 Meters, and 70 Centimeters. The majority of the information that Dr. Fong presented can be found in the March, 2017, issue of QST magazine
Upcoming Events – Scott Reeves
- Safety Fest @ Katy Mills Mall – April 22nd.
- MS150 – April 29 & 30. If you’re interested in working this even use the following link to take you to the sign up page: http://bpms150hams.org/
- Boy Scout Fair – May 6th
- The Woodlands Triathlon – May 6th
KARS General Meeting Monday, March 13, 2017
I. Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM
II. BOD minutes for February, 2017 were approved
III. Silent Auction conducted and completed
IV. New members’ applications approved
V. Digital Mobile Radio presentation (by Hal Fuglaar & Russell Biggs)
VI. Upcoming Events:
a. Greater Houston Hamfest – March 24-25 (KARS will have 2 tables, need members to participate)
b. Bike Ride for Little Heroes – March 26 (contact Scott Reeves for details)
c. Texas State Parks on the Air – April 8-9 (contact Jimmy Vance for details)
d. Katy Area Safety Fest – April 22 (contact Bob Bentley for details)
VII. REMINDER: Annual dues must be paid by next club meeting (April 10)
VIII. Meeting ended at app. 8:45 PM
For those of you who have an interest in DMR, here is some additional reading.
Amateur Radio Digital Hotspot Comparison
DMR Radios 8 30 16
Brandmeister – http://hose.brandmeister.network/ you can monitor TalkGroups here even without a DMR radio.
Please download and use the updated KARS Net Control Operator Guidelines.
A log sheet has be added to the last page for your convenience.
Thanks to Jimmy W5ZTX for his help updating this document.
If you have not been a KARS Net Control, please volunteer. It is fun and easy.
KARS_NET_Procedure_v2.3 – 3 22 17
KARS will conduct a kit build event in January 14 & 21. We will build a simple AM radio using the ELENCO 780 kit. This is a beginning level kit, with about 20 parts. It should be able to be finished in about 2 hours. There are no surface mounted components and no alignment needed. Cost will be about $15.
You will need to supply your own soldering iron, needle nose pliers, and solder.
One or two weeks before the kit build Saturday, we will also conduct a soldering class for anyone interested. Cost for this soldering workshop event will be about $5.
If you are interested in participating in either event, please contact Jack Philley WB5KVV, (281) 392-8771, firstname.lastname@example.org before Tuesday 13 Dec.
Jack will order the kits.
Tonight’s presentation will be
“Introduction to Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS)”
Here is the presentation aprs-presentation-nov-2016.
You can look at my 7 day travels at KG5JBJ-9
See you tonight! 73 KG5JBJ
Ham Radio Estate Sale open to KARS members – One of our KARS members passed away recently and left several hundred vintage ham radios along with associated equipment such as vacuum tube volt meters and test gear. His brother Russell Dues is offering the equipment for sale to KARS members this week and next week. If interested contact Russell at 832 595 4102. Call him any day except Saturdays.
Here is Bruce’s presentation about his first year on HF. 73 & Thx Bruce